Friday 2 January 2015

Supermarket Sarah



Sarah Bagner founded Supermarket Sarah in 2009, the online boutique started off with humble beginnings - on a market stall in Portoblello. Sarah discovered a gap in the market for a curated online shopping experience. Her eclectic array of displays include a mix of makers from fashion to interior frippery. The walls reflect the creativity of the designers work and are an all round treasure trove! The Interiors Almanac recently joined Supermarket Sarah to set up a pop up market kiosk in East London, where Sarah sold works from designers Crispin Finn and Tom Pigeon which she elaborately displayed around a plethora of Pineapples!Here Supermarket Sarah talks about her beginnings and her collections.


Supermarket Sarah featuring Textile Designer Marie Molterer

How did Supermarket Sarah begin?

Supermarket Sarah is based around the idea of a real wall full of clickable items, each with a unique story. Users simply click and buy. I started creating the walls from my home living room, which then spread into bars, receptions, public spaces and Selfridges, London. 

At the time I was also doing Portobello Market selling vintage and I was interested in re-creating the feel of market shopping online, by bringing personality and stories into shopping. I felt the online world was rather dry and clinical and the fun was stripped from the experience. 

Are the walls curated by the chosen designers?

Initially I started creating the walls in my living room but then I started inviting designers that I admired to compose them using the same template and so the wall canvas has grown into a platform of walls. Each Designer creates their own wall. Of course, I still create the walls and choose the designers and  often work collaboratively with brands and celebrities on their walls as a consultant. 

Supermarket Sarah featuring Designer Russell Barratt of Random Bangle


It is interesting how you combine new and old pieces on the walls, which seem to tell a story of the designers own tastes and inspiration, is this an important aspect of Supermarket Sarah?

Yes definitely I like the mix, I think the walls represent feelings and people and its nice to show that, with an array of pieces which evoke different moods and stories. 

How do you decide upon the themes and select designers which are promoted on the Supermarket Sarah walls?

I look for people with passion, people who clearly seem to love what they do and their work really becomes them. My book is about walls with heart and this is very true also for the walls on the site. I don't dictate one aesthetic but celebrate personal style: whatever that maybe Its all about Loving your stuff!

Supermarket Sarah featuring Illustrator This Is Nick White & Pals

Which installations have you most enjoyed working on?

I loved creating Kirstie Allsopp's home wall with her, there's something lovely about a home wall and really trying to bring something new to a personality that many people have seen on TV. I really wanted to show Kirstie in a more eccentric light as she loves the weird and wonderful!

Do you collect anything in particular?

Lots! I have a button collection which is growing, a 1920's men with moustache collection which I like a lot and cats - of course!

Where did you travel during the making of your book Wonder Walls?

I went to Tokyo which was fantastic and Sweden and the UK.  

Which is your favourite entry and why?

Oh I couldn't say! What I love is that all the walls are so unique!



No comments:

Post a Comment